Ever since Kai Lewars was young, he made it crystal clear that he wanted to be involved in construction.
Growing up Kai enjoyed seeing the positive impact that resulted from development and construction projects and their influence in transforming communities, businesses, and local residents’ lives for the better. It was only a matter of time until he realized what role he would play in it all as he focused his education around the many niches of the construction process.
Motivated to excel by witnessing and learning from his family’s wisdom, hardships, and successes, Kai earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration and studied Construction Engineering Management at Oregon State University. He began his career interning with Bremik Construction and later with Gores Construction in Portland, OR. After graduation, Kai began a full-time position with Gores as service manager and later took on additional responsibility as a safety and quality control coordinator. Several years later, he accepted a position with Portland Public Schools as a project manager for facilities and asset management, transitioning his career from construction to an owner’s rep role for the school district he grew up in.
After living and working in the Pacific Northwest for most of his life, Kai eventually realized that it was the right time to make a leap of faith and take the risk to further grow in his career. His dad, who had lived in Cincinnati for years, suggested relocating to the Queen City where Kai could take advantage of real estate development market through growing his personal portfolio of properties in addition to finding the right fit amidst the growing career opportunities in the area’s development and construction industries. So, in 2016 Kai sold his house, packed his bags, and moved to Cincinnati – without knowing anyone in the local development or construction market.
When researching Cincinnati area firms, Kai knew he wanted to join a smaller, collaborative, and close-knit team doing big business in the local market – which led him directly to Terrex, the only Cincinnati company Kai reached out to. His unwavering confidence in Terrex being the perfect fit paid off: he is now a project manager at the firm and manages, coordinates, and supervises the entire construction process. The collaborative, proactive, and solutions-based culture at Terrex is Kai’s ideal work environment, which makes his work productive and enjoyable at the same time.
Kai’s strong industry background and experience makes him an integral member of the Terrex construction team and has contributed to the success of many of the firm’s projects, particularly larger, more complex renovation and expansion projects like Prus Construction and Fayette Regional Hospital’s Detox Center. He also leads the way at Terrex in discovering new ways to leverage technology to use for process improvement and making the team’s projects more efficient.
Beyond his work at Terrex, Kai enjoys travelling, attending music concerts, playing and watching a variety of sports, and spending time with his son, family, dogs, and friends. He especially likes being out and about during the spring and summer months – but is still adjusting to Cincinnati’s winters!
Kai Lewars | Project Manager
Terrex Development & Construction is a consultative commercial real estate services company that focuses in the development and construction of urban, mixed-use, office, industrial, retail, and multi-family projects. Terrex takes a solutions-oriented approach to provide the highest value to our clients in the Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and Dayton markets. Terrex was founded with a vision to deliver transparent, client-centric development and construction experiences.
- Manage, coordinate and supervise the construction process from the pre-construction stage through project close out.
- Responsible for delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Terrex Development & Construction, Project Manager – January 2017 to Present
- Portland Public Schools, Project Manager | Facilities and Asset Management – March 2015 to June 2016
- Gores Construction, Portland, OR, Safety & Quality Control Coordinator – July 2013 to March 2015
- Gores Construction, Portland, OR, Service Manager – August 2012 to July 2013
Representative Project Experience:
- Prus Construction – Renovation and Office Expansion – Cincinnati, OH
- Renovation and expansion of existing 5,400 SF office to 17,200 SF. Will include a high-bay training center and employee fitness center.
- Schaefer Office Headquarters – New Office Renovation – Cincinnati, OH
- Design-Builder of 16,000 SF office featuring an open office concept with a focus on collaborative spaces, restoring some of the unique elements of the existing building.
- Fayette Regional Hospital – Detox Center – Connersville, IN
- Construction of a 22,000 SF 4.0 Detoxification Unit including 46-beds located within Fayette Regional Hospital.
- Fayette Memorial Hospital – Sleep Lab – Connersville, IN
- Design and construction of new 2,000 SF sleep lab including 4 monitored sleep rooms with private baths.
- Thrive – Building Renovation and Office Expansion – Cincinnati, OH
- 5,000 SF Building renovation and expansion.
- Blue Manatee – Building Construction and Renovation – Cincinnati, OH
- 5,600 SF mixed use building including first floor retail and second floor office space.
- Reztark – New Office Renovation – Cincinnati, OH
- New office renovation of 9,696 SF featuring open office layout and collaboration spaces, preserving unique elements of the existing building.
- Hilltop Condominiums – Building Envelope Construction Defect Repairs – Portland, OR
- 16 buildings with a total of 108 units of targeted scope of repairs on the exterior building envelope. This included, but was not limited to siding, decks membranes, deck railings, windows, and utility penetrations.
- Portland Public Schools– Facilities and Asset Management – Portland, OR
- Owner’s Representative on numerous projects including but not limited to the School District’s Parking Lot Paving & Striping Budget, School Playgrounds, Athletic Facilities, Science Labs, Floor replacements, Asbestos/ Lead Abatement, Artistic Projects, etc.
- Gores Construction– Multi-Family and Commercial Properties- Portland, OR
- Conducted 100’s of exterior building envelope destructive testing inspections for construction defect litigation cases related to exterior building envelope defects. Led an exterior building envelope maintenance program for multi- family and commercial properties.
Training and Certifications:
- OSHA 30 Hour Certification
- First Aid/ AED/ CPR/ Bloodborne Pathogens Certification
- SPRAT Level 1 Rope Access Technician
- ENSA Rope Access Technician Level 1
- James Hardie Installation Trained
- Westcoat Specialty Coating Systems Trained
Education & Designations:
- B.S. Business Administration, Oregon State University
- Construction Engineering Management, Oregon State University
- I have one son, Malakai, who is going into the 6th grade.
- We moved to Cincinnati in June 2016 from Portland, Oregon.
- Enjoy learning new things with technology, exploring the outdoors, traveling, music, sports, and spending time with family and friends in the sun.