Building and architectural design, along with its impact on people, have long fascinated Columbus, Ohio native Peter Horton.
This interest originally led Pete to pursue a career in architecture, earning his Bachelor of Arts degree in Architecture from the University of Cincinnati (DAAP). Armed with passion, drive, and a desire to take an active role in changing the world for the better, he landed a position with a Chicago architectural firm where he leveraged his love of design to propel his career forward.
While working and living in Chicago, Pete’s work on a real estate development project uncovered a fascination of a new-to-him industry. Since architects typically only focused on the design portion of a project, Pete realized that working in real estate development provided an opportunity to oversee entire projects from the owner’s side of the table.
After moving back to Cincinnati in 2002 with his wife to start a family, he decided then was the opportune moment to adjust his career trajectory to pursue his newfound passion for real estate development. However, after interviewing with local developers Pete was told that he did not have the required skills for the job he wanted. So, while he continued working as an architect for three years at Cincinnati architecture firm BHDP Pete went “back to school” in his spare time to learn the required skills to pursue his new career, earning his real estate license and working towards his Certified Commercial Investment Member designation.
Pete’s hard work to chase his new career dream paid off when he was hired by Miller Valentine Group, where he met Tom Rowe and Matt Packer and eventually worked his way up to Vice President for the Cincinnati market. Although Pete’s transition to real estate development and construction was an excellent fit for his personality and background, he long harbored entrepreneurial ambitions to start his own company. The idea was to establish a small and passionate firm focusing on delivering exceptional projects that make a difference for clients, partners, and the community – in turn, changing the world for the better reality.
To successfully launch the company, Pete knew he needed partners that had the skills that he didn’t in order to achieve the best success. Years of conversations culminated in combining forces with Tom and Matt. After careful planning, they launched into business ownership, co-founding Terrex in September 2014. Since starting Terrex, Pete has worked on some of Cincinnati’s largest and most high-profile construction and real estate development projects, including The Uptown Gateway, The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati, and On the Lateral projects.
To Pete, coming to work every day at Terrex feels like Christmas morning thanks to the collaborative, fun, and entrepreneurial team that he and the partners have committed to building. Passionate about the role that real estate developers play in creating a sense of place and the positive impact they can have in the community, Pete’s commitment to the local community expands beyond Terrex, serving as a board member and in leadership positions with The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati, Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Gardens Ambassador Council, Cincinnati Museum Center, and NAIOP Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky Chapter.
Pete and his wife Mary have been married for more than 20 years and live in Anderson Township with their two sons. He also is an avid fly fisherman and is a member of the Lake Mansfield Trout Club in Stowe, Vermont, where he makes a pilgrimage each Spring and Fall for opening and closing of each fishing season. He also is heavily involved with his sons’ school, where he has served as a youth basketball and soccer coach for the past 10 years.
Peter T. Horton CCIM
- Source and manage the execution of commercial development and construction projects.
- Provide Terrex with a balanced approach of client management and project leadership.
- Manage the development process, including site selection, entitlement, due diligence, design, pro forma financial modeling, project financing, public funding, marketing, stabilization and permanent financing.
- Terrex Development & Construction, Principal and Co-Founder – Sept 2014 to Present
- Miller-Valentine Group, Vice President, Cincinnati Market – Aug 2005 to Aug 2014
Representative Project Experience:
- Uptown Gateway – Cincinnati, OH
Developing a $225M mixed use project on a new urban interchange that offers over 400,000 SF of office and a 200 key hotel over two underground parking structures.
- On the Lateral – Norwood, OH
Developing a 90,000 SF office on a former industrial site. Project involved complex assembly, environmental issues and multiple sources of funding, including a grant from the State of Ohio.
- NexTek Phase I – Cincinnati, OH
Working with The Port and Messer Construction to deliver approximately 75,000 SFT of speculative advanced manufacturing space on the former Cincinnati Gardens site.
- NexTek Phase II – Cincinnati, OH
Working with The Port and Messer Construction to develop, market, build and deliver a BTSL 120,000 SFT advanced manufacturing space on the former Cincinnati Gardens site.
- On the Lateral Office Development – Norwood, OH
Redevelopment of the former Zumbiel Packaging industrial site into a new commercial office development. Able to turn what had been a liability into a marketable asset for ownership.
- Links Unlimited – Office HQ and Warehouse Facility – Cincinnati, OH
Design-Build delivery of a new 180,000 SF facility that includes 30,000 SF of corporate office space.
- Belcan – Office HQ Tenant Interiors – Blue Ash, OH
Full building tenant interior renovation of the 134,000 SF former Hawthorne Center in Blue Ash.
- Fayette Regional Health System – New Detox Center – Connersville, IN
Complete renovation of a 21,445 SF hospital wing that provides 46-bed detox unit, design and constructed to meet state psychiatric standards.
- Prus Construction – Office Renovation and Expansion – Cincinnati, OH
Design-build renovation and expansion of 17,200 SF of Prus Construction facility. Project was phased to maintain uninterupted operations during construction.
- Urban Stead Cheese – Building renovation – Cincinnati, OH
Renovation of an existing 8,300 SF building in Walnut Hills to a artisan cheese production facility with controlled aging rooms and retail tasting room & bar.
- Schaefer Engineering – Office HQ Renovation – Cincinnati OH
Interior renovation of 15,800 SF of the Midland Building downtown Cincinnati.
- Petland Retail Stores – Building Renovations – Florence, KY and Deerfield Twp, OH
Retail interior renovations of existing buildings.
- Blue Manatee Building – New Mixed-use Construction – Cincinnati, OH
Construction of a new urban infill mixed-use building that included first floor retail and second floor office space.
- Falling Leaves – New Mixed-use Construction – Cincinnati, OH
Construction of a new 3-story, 10,000 SF mixed-use building that included ground floor retail with residential above.
- Mosaic Climbing – Building Renovation and Expansion – Loveland, OH
Design-build renovation of 22,000 SF existing building and a 6,000 SF building addition with a 50 FT clear height high climb area.
- The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati – Renovation and Facility Expansion – Cincinnati, OH
Conversion of an existing 32,000 SF manufacturing building into new administrative offices, K-12 studio and classrooms, and 150 seat theater.
CM Delivery of construction services.
- Americano Burger Bar – New Restaurant at 84.51° Building – Cincinnati, OH
Interior build out on new restaurant within the new 84.51°
Design Build delivery of construction services.
Professional Associations & Involvement:
- Cincinnati Museum Center | Board Member
- NAIOP Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky Chapter | Board Member, Past President
- Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park | Board Member
- The Children’s Theatre Cincinnati | Board Member, Vice-President
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden Ambassador Council | Past President
- C-Change Leadership Program | Class 2
- Leadership Cincinnati | Class 35
- Forty under 40 | Class of 2011
- Cincinnati Country Day School – Master Plan Committee Member
- C-Change Leadership Alumni Association
- Leadership Cincinnati Steering Committee
- University of Cincinnati Real Estate Roundtable
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
Education & Designations:
- Bachelors of Architecture, University of Cincinnati (DAAP)
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM)
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, Ohio
- My wife Mary and I have been married for over 20 years and we have two sons, Will and Reed
- We moved to Cincinnati in January 2002 and live in Anderson Township
- Cincinnati Country Day School – Youth Basketball & Soccer Coach (10 years)
- Member of the Lake Mansfield Trout Club in Stowe, Vermont